Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Agree to Disagree

After having the chance to read, “Punching Holes in Old Faded Mirrors” an interview with Arianna Huffington, I had the opportunity to apply Graff’s chapter four methods of agreeing and disagreeing. Overall, I would have to say I mainly agreed with Huffington; however I did disagree with her at times. To start off, I’d have to say my feelings on this issue are mixed. I’m of two minds about her claims on blogging. On the one hand, I agree that “Blogs have made a huge difference because they have broken the monopoly of the mainstream media” (Huffington), but I’m not sure if I agree with her views on the actual media. She believes that “while the mainstream media is covering the story it’s as thought nothing else exists.” (Huffington) Basically saying that they only cover or focus on one story at a time. I don’t think that is true because the news covers so many different stories at one time, not just one specific story. I agree that blogging is exciting because “we don’t know where exactly this is going to go” (Huffington), a point that needs emphasis because many people believe that blogging will come and go quickly. I also agree that “you don’t need to reach everybody in order to have an impact”, because my experience with blogging in class has shown that only the few people in my class check it out and that confirms that it can still have an impact with out the world seeing it. Overall, after reading any section in this book, it really is agreeing and/or disagreeing, and any view point is welcomed.

2 comments:

Tracy Mendham said...

Is this HW 9?

Tracy Mendham said...

Good...agrees and disagrees with Huffington, as assignments asks.
Include the page number of the source in in-text citations, e.g. (Huffington 43). I get a little lost in the last two sentences of the post.