Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"My So-Called Blog"

I feel that when a child is in middle school they are old enough to monitor themselves. If a parent wants to check out what they do on the internet but still give them privacy, then that is fine. However, invading someone’s space is uncalled for, and parents need to learn that. Children should be monitored, middle school students shouldn’t. I remember when I was in middle school my mom would sneak up on me and look over my shoulder, and I would hate that for two reasons, one: because I hate when people read anything over my shoulder, and two: because I hate that she was being so nosey. If middle school students are going to talk to their friends online, search the web, write in blogs, or do any other online activity, then I think they’re old enough to make decisions. Parents may feel that their children are losing personal privacy by giving out information, for so many different things, however, “For many in the generation that has grown up online, the solution to fight this technological loss of privacy, but to give in and embrace it: to stop worrying and learn to love the Web.” (Kline and Burstein 351) Everyone, especially parents of middle school children, need to stop worrying about the Web and learn that it can actually be a very good thing. I know when I was in middle school, I didn’t do anything wrong on the internet, so I would have the same trust with other middle school students, at least until they break that trust.

3 comments:

Tracy Mendham said...

Is this HW 7?

Kristen's Blogger said...

I agree completely with your side on this issue of parents monitoring middle school kids internet exploration. I agree with the fact that they are in middle school, they are no long little children that need parents permission to use a computer. Kids are going to be on the computer and chatting with friends, but most kids dont go any further than that, and i'm sure that if they were going to go further than that, a parent would know by their childs behavior at home and in school. Most good mannared kids don't go online and chat with strangers to possibly get into trouble. A parents intuiton of their own child should be enough to tell them whether or not they should monitor their kids internet usage.

Tracy Mendham said...

Well done. This meets the requirements of the assignment to make an argument for or against monitoring middle-schoolers writing on the Web. The only thing missing is the signal phrase (or lead-in statement). This could be provided by a phrase like:
In the New York Times article "My So-Called Blog," author Emily Nussbaum suggests that "For many in the generation..."