Thursday, September 13, 2007

Semester Long Project

To get started on my semester long project I choose a few topics off the list of choices. There are many different social computing technologies out there and the few that I am interested in are: text messaging, social networking serviced, and instant messaging. I have the privilege of having unlimited text messaging so I’d say it’s obvious that I love to text and that is something I’d like to research. Along with social network services because Facebook and Myspace fascinate me, from the way they were developed to the way to can communicate. Lastly, Instant messaging will be an interesting one because a lot of people have instant messaging and I love to sit and talk with people, whether they be next door or miles away.

The different kinds of empowerment of marginalized groups that I choose are: Overcoming homophobia, overcoming racism, and Rights and empowerment of people with HIV/AIDS. These are three topics that have always been interesting to me. Overcoming homophobia would be an awesome thing and I’m sure researching it would be very interesting. Overcoming racism has been something that’s been going on for a LONG time and researching that would also be nice. Lastly, researching the rights and empowerment of people with HIV/AIDS is very interesting and something I ‘d like to find out about.

Geographical areas also plays a role in this semester long project, and the two places I choose to research at the US and Africa. I feel that although people think they know a lot about the US it’s still very interesting to learn something new and then realize it’s going on in your country. As for Africa I feel that would just be a good second choice.

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

Good, this explains what areas of research interest you and why.