Wednesday, October 3, 2007

HW14: Responding to Denton

After reading Denton’s interview I felt like he knew exactly what he was talking about and his wording was very easy to follow along with because I also found myself agreeing with him a lot. He talked about blogging and his experience with hiring non-journalists and how they are better “because the unknown are hungrier and because often a track record in print journalism is no advantage in writing a weblog.” Similar, when they look for new blog writers they don’t look for resumes either. Consequently, “writers who are good web bloggers often don’t do well when they try to make the transition to magazine journalism or newspaper journalism.” Also, I agree with Denton when he states that the attention paid to blogs is unhealthy and unnecessary. Furthermore, as the interview goes on I feel like his personality was a little cocky when he uses words like “Obviously” as he talks to the person interviewing him, which seems rude. In addition to thinking people pay too much attention to blogs he also states that “I think it’s reasonably obvious that weblogs are going to unbundle the existing newspaper publishing business.” On the contrary, he doesn’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon. To summarize, I would say I agree with Denton and his views on blogs.

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

This is a real "transitionorama," as the assignment requested--only one sentence "He doesn't..." lacks a transition.
This post mostly reads like a string of quotes, though, and doesn't help me understand why you agree with Denton. When you're asked to respond to a reading, present and explain ideas of your own about the text.